A Little Bit of Seriousness A Whole Lot of Fun...

boffopaidmail.com

Google

Monday, October 24, 2005

Cancer - Renowned Killer

Cancer attacks in many ways and forms. And more often than not, symptoms are spotted at their severe stage. More so, it doesn't choose the victims. The most recent one, Malaysia's Prime Minister's wife; breast cancer. About 2 years back, my beloved mom; lung cancer.

The origin of the word cancer is credited to the Greek physician Hippocrates (460-370 B.C.), considered the "Father of Medicine." Hippocrates used the terms carcinos and carcinoma to describe non-ulcer forming and ulcer-forming tumors. In Greek these words refer to a crab, most likely applied to the disease because the finger-like spreading projections from a cancer called to mind the shape of a crab. Carcinoma is the most common type of cancer.
(ref - http://www.cancer.org)

The disease itself may not be really under our control but the awareness. Firstly, we may need to be aware that cancer comes with certain symptoms. Even though it is usually discovered at the stage of too late to cure, at least we know it is cancer. This part, the siblings & me may be a bit naive until our mom had to go thru so much pain before she underwent cancer treatment.

Secondly, channels of assistance be it in the form of monetary and/or advice. I came to explore the real meaning of MAKNA (Majlis Kanser Nasional / National cancer Council - http://www.makna.org.my). The idea is, even there is no hope or whatnot, at least the patient can go through a peaceful treatment with less pain experience. Of course with proper guides & treatment. Again, this is the lacking area of the siblings & me where we just follow brief advice from various doctors at multiple hospitals. I blame nobody anyway. Good for Pak Lah (Malaysia's PM) who promised to look into cancer medication especially in terms of the price. So that it will hopefully be affordable to everybody at all level; from makcik kampung (village's aunty) like my mom to the First Lady of the country.

Thirdly / lastly, the unity of the relatives while the patient is under cancer treatment. In my case, everybody is working. Of course to earn the living, we should by all means work. This can be sensitive at times as who should take care of the mother. It has created a bit of a scene initially. First time I saw my big brother cry. With him in Perak, me in KL, my sis in Sabak Bernam (to name a few) & mom in Teganung; things seemed to be tough. However, it was resolved amicably among the siblings. It took 3 months before she was laid in peace. A relief for me to have an understanding boss; "You can "cabut" (dissapear) when it is necessary, just give me a tinker".

Until now, the 3 months experience of my mom is still fresh to my eyes. Al-Fatihah.

7 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home